From 2005-2013 the EOED website was at https://oed.hertford.ox.ac.uk/main/. This site is now archived. It can still be seen via the Archived site link at foot of page and has its own Site history page.
The current site was created over 2017-19 and made public in the second half of 2019. Many new pages were added at this stage (see EOED content) and all original material reviewed and in many cases revised or entirely re-written. The site is regularly updated, as indicated by the date stamp at the foot of each page (below the main text but above any footnotes).
New pages written and put up since December 2019 include:
- Dictionaries – how the OED has drawn on evidence from other dictionaries in the past and continues to do so today
- Sex and gender (initial notes & references) – start of a new section on the treatment of sex and gender in the OED from its first edition to the present day
- Newspapers (initial material) – different views over time of the importance of newspapers as quotation sources for the OED
- 1930 onwards in OED3 – how is OED3 changing our picture of the English language?
- 1930-1989 in OED2
- 1800-1929 in OED3
- 1800-1929 in OED1/2
- Usage and correctness (initial references) – published work (with links to text where available) on OED’s attempts – whether successful or unsuccessful – to represent language as actually used, as opposed to meeting readers’ expectations that the Dictionary should set a standard
Last updated on 7 September 2020