As with the completion of the first edition of OED in 1928, the Goldsmiths’ Company hosted a celebratory feast to mark the completion of the Supplement, which the publishers regarded as ‘the consummation of the labours of three-quarters of a century’ which would close this chapter in Oxford dictionary-making. This time it was a more modest lunch, not a dinner, but it still had five courses and a good range of wines, all listed in the programme reproduced below. Speeches were made on this occasion as on the previous one and were subsequently published in the March 1934 issue of The Periodical.
1934 lunch programme
Last updated on